Popular Posts

Thursday 9 October 2014

Honda CRF250L Fundy Adventure Rally Build


As you all know I have been mulling over a smaller dual-sport bike for awhile. Actually if you read this blog on a daily basis, you'd know I mull over a lot of bikes. However, I do want another dirt bike to replace my long gone XR250R. This time I'd like something street-legal because quite frankly it's pain in the arse to trailer a bike to go ride. Oh, and I hate kickstarting a bike, I'll be 46 years old, too old for that shit.

A couple of weeks ago I came across Patrick Trahan's Facebook page of a CRF250L he's building into a rally bike. It inspired me to do the same thing on a slightly smaller scale. I will not need a fancy roll book holder, and the various other gadgets required for a professional rally, such as Pat's bike below, but it will require some modification, especially in the suspension department.



The rally I am gunning for is obviously the Fundy Adventure Rally. I want to be able to hold the now famous plastic cup above my head, and be proclaimed the winner.





So what does that involve.....well, first I need to acquire a CRF250L. I believe that will be a springtime purchase, since it is now October. Why have an extra bike in the garage over the long winter. Unless of course I can find a cheaper used one and save some money. Kijiji here I come.



Once I have the bike, I'll document what needs to be modified, added, and thrown out in order to turn this meek, mild, under sprung dual-sport into a small reliable Rally/ADV weapon. I use the term weapon loosely, because after all it is a 250. I'm thinking this will be my film project for next year. Bike prep and training for the big Fundy Rally, with a slightly sarcastic, funny edge to it.


I'm thinking something like this, with a good solid GPS mount, and a small tail bag for extras during the rally, and some soft saddlebags like a Giant Loop for multi-day off road excursions. It will also need a larger fuel tank too. 


Update, Editor 'Arris of CMG thinks the rally build is a wonderfully cool idea, enough of a good idea to tuurn it into a CMG/Bigland vid project. I get the bike and CMG is gonna get me the various parts necessary from the vendors. How cool is that?



1 comment:

  1. Explanation, this exegesis is a clean culmination which often typically is aware of this activate's episode of a situation location. Think of your document in an didactic placing is actually known because "official book" is usually soporific by disciples, academy trees, flicker analysts to do the tasks. Buy Rally Navigation KIT Online

    ReplyDelete