Popular Posts

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Is a Multi-Year Trip On The Road Possible?? Cannonball Run Update......TWO!!!! WTF!!!!!

A few months ago I came across an article on the inter web about a gentleman riding his Honda  around North America. Not that unusual to those of you immersed in the two wheeled world. Lots of people take time off  to tour. However this wasn't your normal Honda touring motorcycle, not a Goldwing or ST1300, not even a large scooter like a Silverwing. No, he was touring on a Ruckus. 49cc of four stroke fury. Possibly one of the smallest, most basic scooters available.



To sum it up, it was just awesome. Most other people would call it nuts. Most other people, and I am included in this lot, do not have the time to even consider this. I can't imagine my employer and my family giving me the green light to go on a trip that would take over three months or longer to accomplish. At the very least if I did go, the only ones waiting for me on my return would be the divorce lawyers. To be perfectly honest, I'd miss my family too much to be away that long.

So how does a middle-aged man live out one of his dreams and maintain some semblence in life? When it comes to touring and not racing across the continent, it's tough.

Although I think I may have found the answer.......for me anyway. I am very fortunate that in my job, I get a lot of downtime between flights. Corporate aviation can be very busy for a few week, and then be very quiet for weeks on end. Plus I am blessed with six weeks vacation a year. The result of not having very many scheduled days off. I maybe home, but I never know when my services will be required.

The first part of this plan is to use two weeks of vacation for two-wheeled travel purposes. The second part is well a second bike, or in this case a scooter.

For example if I decide to do the Scooter Cannonball, the one from Amelia Island Florida to Seattle, I'll have a scooter sitting in Seattle. That's a good thing. I find a place to store it, and then fly out again in the early spring and ride in an easterly, or southerly direction for week, find another place to store it, fly home again. Repeat as necessary.

If you had enough people doing this, with dealers involved you could actually come up with a scooter fractional ownership business. I might be on to something here.

The Cannonball Run. Well I am very stoked for this, my partners in crime a little less so. I could see the hesitation on Pete's face as we got down to the more nitty gritty details of this. He never came out and said it, but I could sense the hesitation.

Pudge, well he admitted that the three beer buzz he had when I texted him had worn off, and was second guessing this whole thing. My wife and sister-in-law are most definitely out. So that leaves yours truly at 100% in.

If the other two bail, I'll be going for the Scooter Cannonball in July that leaves from Florida and goes to Seattle. Honestly, I think it would be more fun, especially if I happen to be solo.

So for now I am planning logistics for both events. Time will tell on which one gets penned in on the calendar.

After I hit post on this, I had a brilliant, if not really crazy, self abusive idea. In July the Scooter Cannonball, leaves from the Sunshine State and finishes in Seattle. The Real Scooter Cannonball is in October and leaves from San Diego back to the east coast. Ahhhh, you see where I am going with this???



That's right not one, but two Cannonballs in the same year. Wicked or wha? Now the chances of this actually happening are slim to none, because approval from the Opposition Minister maybe tough to get. Let's just say, the idea is on the table, and I'm keen. After all it's only a two day ride from the finish of the first Cannonball to the start of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment