Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 December 2013

I Think I Could Ride All Year On a Ural

Ok, if any of you know me well enough, winter is NOT my favourite time of year. I hate it, I hate the cold and especially the snow. Mostly because it hampers my ability to enjoy the things I love the most, riding a bike, and watersports.

I'm not entirely sure why I live where I do, but I am stuck here and have to deal with it, which means a blue/green happy light that simulates sunshine, and many bottles of red wine. Once the Liberal party gets elected and my buddy, ol' pal Justin becomes Prime Minister and makes the Mary Jane/Ganja legal, I'll be even happier and more creative.

Yesterday I started thinking that I would be happier if I could ride all year round. On two wheels in this environment would be hard, however on three with 2-wheel drive is quite possible on one of these…..



a Ural. Basically it's an old 1930's BMW R71 design that the Russians copied for use in the military. They haven't changed a whole lot since, except now they have disc brakes and EFI in 2014.

So, I'll be putting in a claim at Blue Cross for $15,999 plus tax, it's a sure fire way to treat my SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and make Terry a happy boy again.

MODEL SPECIFICATIONS
Engine and transmission 
Displacement, cc: 749
Engine type: OHV air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke “boxer” (flat twin)
Valve per cylinder: 2
Bore and stroke (mm x mm): 78 x 78
Max output (hp): 41 @ 5500 rpm
Max torque (ft-lbs): 42 @ 4300 rpm
Compression: 8.6:1
Fuel system: Throttle body EFI
Starting: Electric & Kickstart
Clutch Double-disc dry
Transmission type: Manual
Speeds: 4 forward 1 reverse
Primary drive (rear wheel): Driveshaft
Final drive ratio: 4.62
Engagable sidecar wheel drive: Yes, driveshaft
Physical measures
Overall length, inch.: 98.8
Overall heights, inch.: 54.3
Overall width, inch.: 63.6
Seat height, (unladen), inch.: 32.0
Ground clearance (unladen),inch.: 6.8
Dry weight, lbs: 730
Chassis
Front suspension: IMZ leading link fork
Rear suspension: Double sided swing-arm with two Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorbers, 5x adjustable
Sidecar suspension: Single sided swing-arm with Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorber, 5x adjustable
Wheels: 2.5X19 Aluminum rims with steel spokes
Tires: Duro HF-308, 4.0×19″
Front brake: 4-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 295mm floating NG rotor
Rear brake: HB big bore single piston integrated floating caliper with 256mm fixed NG rotor
Sidecar brake: 2-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 245mm floating NG rotor
Other
Fuel grade: 91 Octane, unleaded
Fuel tank capacity, gallons: 5.0
Reserve, gallons: app. 1
Estimated fuel economy, mpg: 31-37
Estimated range, miles: 155-185
Recommended max cruising speed, mph: 70
Max permissible weight, lbs:1325
Trunk volume, cubic ft.: 2.9
Electrical
Alternator: Denso, 55 Amp, 770 Wt
Battery: FAYTX20HL (12V, 20A)
Headlight: H6024 (65/35)
Spark plugs: NGK BPR7HS
Warranty
2-years parts and labor unlimited millage.



No comments:

Post a Comment